Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A Father's Day Golf Story

We at GolfGym would like to wish all the Fathers out there a very Happy Father's Day.

It is very likely that your dad was the first person to introduce you to the game of golf. That certainly is the case with me.

I remember going to the golf course with my dad for the first time at a very young age. That trip to the golf course is etched in my memory forever. I'm sure you have some dad-golf memories of your own. This Father's Day, honor your dad by reminding him of your favorite story.


My Own Dad - Golf Story
After playing a round of golf with his "buddies", my dad and they enjoyed a game or two of cards (gin rummy, to be exact) before heading home. I was very young and was impatiently hanging around for him to finish this ritual with his friends. After bugging him for the sixth time, "when are we gonna leave", he handed me his putter and a ball (the putter was taller than I) and told me to go out to the putting green and play putting. He said would be finished in about 20 minutes.

When I got to the putting green I started to whack the ball here and there, just goofing around. The green felt very soft under my feet and I can't exactly remember why, but for some reason I raised up the putter and smacked the soft ground with it. What a neat dent it made. I remember turning the blade vertical and with a full swing embedded the head into the green. Wow, that was fun. After about 5 more swings burying the head and yanking it out, I heard the panic call of a man running toward me from the pro shop. I remember that man dragging me into the clubhouse to inform my dad of what I had done. I got "the look" from my dad and his card game was over immediately. I guess that's why to this day, I am a stickler for fixing ball marks on the green.


My Dad, Leonard L. Pierce, had one Hole-in-One in his life. May 18, 1968, Butterfield Country Club, Hinsdale, IL, 9th hole, 165 yards, 5 iron. The local newspaper shot this picture in front of his Flower Shop in Chicago.

Fahters Day, Hol-in-One, GolfGym


Father's Day Quiz to Win a GolfGym PowerSwing Trainer!

PGA Tour Player Jason Dufner
PGA Professional Jason Dufner found himself in a head scratching situation. His errant shot at Quail Hollow ended up in a young fans lap. Play it as it lies???

Quiz Question: What is the proper ruling in this situation?

Send your answer to: joeyd@golfgym.com

Happy Fathers Day from GolfGym


Ken Pierce
President
GolfGym

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home