Friday, March 13, 2009

"Tiger bullish over fitness"

Some recent ink we discovered online regarding Tiger Woods and fitness. Check it out!


"Tiger bullish over fitness"
World number one delighted to get first outing under his belt

The world number one tees it up in the second World Golf Championship event of the season, the CA Championship at Doral, having made his comeback following extensive knee surgery in the first two weeks ago.

Woods managed only one victory at the WGC-Accenture Match Play event in Arizona - that over Australian Brendan Jones - but insists the event proved a real success for him given how it went from a fitness perspective.

The American has reported no adverse reaction from his reconstructed left knee and claims he is feeling much fresher than he expected to.

"Everything was better than I thought," Woods said. "It was a big shot of confidence for me to get out there and play again and feel physically sound.

"To walk out there and play and then compete and get a feel for that competitive environment was everything I could possibly have imagined.

"I thought I would be a little more sore than I was. Recovery from day-to-day has been great.

"It couldn't have been more positive, except for obviously getting beaten in the second round. But from a physical standpoint, it was better than I thought it would be."

Woods now faces a more demanding physical test this week as the 80-man no-cut event in Miami will ensure he plays 72 holes.

However, the 33-year-old believes the tournament will provide a good gauge of just what stage his fitness and game are at.

"I've only played in the Match Play event," Woods continued. "Physically, I feel good but getting into a stroke-play event and where you're not playing an opponent and you're playing the golf course again; I'll have a better idea when the tournament is done.

"Stroke-play is more of a marathon. You're trying to set yourself up for the last round, and in match-play, it is the last round, each and every round you play.

"That's what makes it as much fun as it is, the unpredictability of it all. It's the rush of going out on the first tee in match-play, knowing that you had better have it.

"In stroke-play, you can actually have a bad day and still win a golf tournament. In match-play, you just don't know if you can get away with having a bad day and still win your match."

Woods will certainly he to Doral with positive memories aplenty having never finished outside the top ten in six events - and emerged victorious in three of his last four outings there.

"Certain golf courses just fit your eye," he explained.

"I've had some success in certain places. You know, one being Torrey Pines, here, Firestone, Augusta I've won multiple times; Bay Hill.

"Certain golf courses just fit your eye. This golf course, ever since I played here in '98 for the first time, it just fit my eye. Even after the re-design, it still fit my eye.

"Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes re-designs may throw it off. For instance, Torrey Pines didn't when they re-designed that golf course. I still felt the set lines were great. But this golf course has just always fit my eye."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home